London (CNN) — The BBC has been forced to issue a humiliating apology after covering up the “deceitful” methods its former journalist Martin Bashir used to secure one of its biggest-ever scoops 25 years ago. Not only has the corporation’s reputation taken a hit but Diana’s own flesh and blood have vehemently slammed the tactics used to trick her into speaking to them, and linked the interview to her death just two years later.
From that, we can assume the late Princess of Wales would have done a sit-down as her relationship with Charles deteriorated, but would she have said the same things? The explosive interview back in 1995 was groundbreaking for how brutally honest she was. The princess spoke of her struggles with bulimia and self-harm, and her own infidelity and that of her husband. Nothing was held back, but it’s Prince William’s belief that the methods used to land the interview swayed how far she went. He said: “It is my view that the deceitful way the interview was obtained substantially influenced what my mother said.”
William’s pointed, scathing and unprecedented on-camera statement does not mince words. He added, “It brings indescribable sadness to know that the BBC’s failures contributed significantly to her fear, paranoia and isolation that I remember from those final years with her.”
His brother, Prince Harry, also speaks plainly in his condemnation of the media’s tactics, saying he is deeply concerned that “practices like these — and even worse — are still widespread today. Then, and now, it’s bigger than one outlet, one network, or one publication. Our mother lost her life because of this, and nothing has changed.”
Spencer added: “This is a young girl in her mid-30s who has lived this extraordinarily turbulent, difficult time in the public eye. She didn’t know who to trust. And in the end, when she died two years later, she was without any form of real protection.”
At the point when Diana sat down with Bashir, she had been separated from Charles for some time. She was finally breaking free of the institution and regaining some control over her own life. But she was also convinced she was being undermined by her husband, the palace and the security services. It was her against the establishment. As she told Bashir, “She won’t go quietly, that’s the problem. I’ll fight to the end, because I believe that I have a role to fulfill, and I’ve got two children to bring up.”
But, for her sons and brother, who still grieve her loss today, the interview as it ended up launched a “false narrative” that set in motion the events that led to her untimely death. Something Harry himself touched upon: “To those who have taken some form of accountability, thank you for owning it. That is the first step towards justice and truth.”
FROM THE ROYAL VAULT
Harry’s new show.
Princess Beatrice is pregnant!
PHOTO OF THE WEEK
NEWS OF THE WEEK
Charles and Camilla in Northern Ireland.
The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall traveled to Northern Ireland for a whistle-stop two-day visit as the province marks its centenary year. The pair embarked on a flurry of engagements starting in Belfast, where they learned about the city’s history, praised youth workers for their cross-community efforts in trying to bring peace to the territory, and toured a historic shipyard. Their itinerary on day two saw the Cornwalls leave the city behind for a visit to County Down, where they visited an open-air market, a reading club inspired by the duchess and went on a walkabout in Donaghadee Harbour.
Queen’s fresh grief as new puppy dies.
How Harry and Meghan chose to mark their wedding anniversary.
It’s been three years since Harry and Meghan tied the knot in Windsor and to celebrate the occasion, we thought we’d highlight some photos from their royal romance.
ROYAL TEA BREAK
Ok, ok, it’s not strictly tea but we’re sure it’ll be on the menu. The Rothesay Rooms, Prince Charles’ Scottish restaurant, is reopening to the public on Friday. Charles — who is known in Scotland as the Duke of Rothesay — started the venture in the town of Ballater in Aberdeenshire, after it was battered by a storm in 2015.
The restaurant was originally conceived as a pop-up eatery in the hopes of bringing tourism back to the area and providing avenues for employment. But it found significantly more success and has been included in the Michelin Guide for the past four years. The project has just relocated to the town’s former train station, which was restored and renovated by the Prince’s Foundation. All profits from the restaurant go straight back into the charity to support its work, the foundation said in a statement.
cnn.it 2021-05-21 21:57:03