Princes William and Harry are said to have exchanged text messages in the aftermath of the Sussexes’ bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey.
There were claims that the brothers hadn’t spoken directly to each other for a year when Harry and Meghan Markle’s tell-all was watched by at least 50 million people worldwide.
As he visited an east London school with Kate Middleton last week, William told reporters he hasn’t spoken to his younger brother, but he planned to.
Among the explosive claims in the interview, Harry, 36, confirmed that the rift with William, 38, had continued and there was “space” between the siblings, but he hoped time would bring them close once again.
Do you enjoy reading about the royal family? Sign up for all the best royal news from the Mirror here.
Reports have suggested William and Harry have communicated in text messages since the Oprah interview in which Harry and Meghan made allegations of racism within the Royal Family.
The brothers have “been in contact”, the Sunday Times reported, amid the latest crisis to engulf the Firm.
Last week, sources told Russell Myers, the Mirror’s royal editor, that William and Harry are prepared to “put on a united front” and stand together at the unveiling of a statue to their mum, Princess Diana, at Kensington Palace in July.
The event will take place near to Meghan’s due date. Already mum to one-year-old Archie, the 39-year-old Duchess of Sussex is pregnant with a girl and is due to give birth this summer.
In recent days, there has been “some movement” in contact between the brothers, suggesting they mave have exchanged messages to arrange a conversation, ITV News royal editor Chris Ship reported.
The Sussexes and Cambridges last appeared in public together at a Commonwealth Day service on March 9, 2020, as Meghan and Harry quit their roles as senior royals.
Harry, whose family now lives in a mansion near Los Angeles after leaving the UK, told Oprah he hopes to mend his fractured relationships with William and their dad, Prince Charles.
The Duke of Sussex said: “You know, as I’ve said before, I love William to bits. He’s my brother.
Keep up to date with all the latest news from the Queen, Charles, William, Kate, Harry, Meghan, George, Charlotte, Louis, Archie and the rest of the family.
We’ll send the best Royal news directly to your inbox so you never have to miss a thing. Sign up to our newsletter here.
“We’ve been through hell together. I mean, we have a shared experience. But, you know, we’re on different paths.”
As Oprah pressed him on the rift, Harry said: “The relationship is space, at the moment. Time heals all things, hopefully.”
Visiting a school in Stratford, east London last week, William told a reporter: “No, I haven’t spoken to him (Harry) yet, but I will do.”
The Duke of Cambridge also told journalists: “We are very much not a racist family.”
He was responding to Meghan and Harry’s claims of racism within the Royal Family.
Meghan claimed one of her in-laws was worried Archie would have dark skin and raised their “concerns” in a conversation with Harry before their son was born in May 2019.
The duchess disputed claims that she made Kate cry during a bridesmaids’ dress fitting days before the former Suits actress wed Harry.
Meghan told Oprah that the “reverse happened”, claiming Kate “was upset about something about flower girl dresses” and made her cry.
Meghan claimed she had thoughts of suicide when she was a senior royal and she was denied help.
Meanwhile, Buckingham Palace has vowed to investigate claims that Meghan bullied aides. The Sussexes deny the allegations.
The inquiry will now be conducted by a third-party law firm, rather than in house.
A royal source claimed to the Sunday Times: “The actual worst incidences haven’t come out. There are some harrowing stories to tell.”
Another Palace source added: “There’s a lot that could come out in the wash that hasn’t been told.”
The Sussexes are not expected to be invited to take part in the inquiry.
The review aims to “learn lessons” by taking evidence from members of staff past and present.
Meghan has written to the Palace to request evidence in relation to bullying allegations against her, the Times reported.