Prince Philip’s hospital stay has passed the one month mark as the 99-year-old continues to recover from an infection.
The Queen’s husband was initially taken to King Edward VII’s Hospital in London on February 16 as a precaution after feeling unwell and was later revealed to be battling an infection.
And he was later transferred to NHS-run St Bartholomew’s Hospital in relation to an underlying heart condition – and then back to King Edward VII’s.
It is the longest amount of time the duke – who turns 100 in June – has ever spent in a hospital, beating his 11-day stint in 2013 after an operation on his abdomen.
The Queen is said to be unlikely to visit her poorly husband of 73 years, some royal commentators have claimed.
The pre-existing heart condition hasn’t been mentioned extensively before in reports on the duke’s health although he has had procedures on his chest after suffering chest pains, such as in 2011.
Philip’s eldest son Prince Charles paid his father a 30-minute visit on February 20, before he was initially transferred for the op.
Earlier this month the Prince moved hospital for the second time after heart surgery and at the time it was said he was expected to stay for several days.
The 99-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth II, was transferred back to a private hospital after successfully undergoing a procedure to treat a heart condition.
Buckingham Palace said in a statement at the time: “Following The Duke of Edinburgh’s successful procedure at St Bartholomew’s Hospital on Wednesday, His Royal Highness has been transferred to King Edward VII’s Hospital this morning.
“The Duke is expected to remain in hospital for continuing treatment for a number of days.”
His current condition or how long he is expected to remain in hospital has not been formally announced.