The Queen is reportedly set to hire a diversity tsar in a bid to modernise the monarchy amid claims of institutional racism within the royal family.
A source has said the move would be made to show that “more needs to be done” across the households as they “haven’t seen the progress [they] would like”.
Aides at Buckingham Palace, Clarence House and Kensington Palace will take part in a “listen and learn” exercise in the next few weeks, the Mail on Sunday reports.
It comes after Harry and Meghan alleged that an unnamed royal made remarks about their son Archie’s skin colour before he was born, sparking crisis talks at Buckingham Palace.
Last night a royal source said: “Diversity is an issue which has been taken very seriously across the Royal Households.
“We have the policies, the procedures and programmes in place but we haven’t seen the progress we would like and more needs to be done, we can always improve.
“The work to do this has been underway for some time now and comes with the full support of the family.
“Lots of measures are being considered. Certainly the idea of someone to spearhead this work and look at diversity/inclusion across the three households is something that has to be considered.”
The Palace’s reported diversity drive is the latest development in a mounting royal crisis after Harry and Meghan’s bombshell talk with Oprah Winfrey which first aired on March 7.
Meghan said that while she was pregnant with Archie, now nearly two, a family member had raised “concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be when he was born”.
Oprah responded: “Because they were concerned that if he were too brown, that that would be a problem? Are you saying that?”
Meghan replied: “I wasn’t able to follow up with why, but if that’s the assumption you’re making, I think that feels like a pretty safe one”.
The US talk show host later added that the alleged comment was not made by either the Queen or the Duke of Edinburgh.
Almost two days after the interview aired, the Queen addressed the allegations in a public statement which read: “The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan.
“The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. Whilst some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately.
“Harry, Archie and Meghan will always be much loved family members.”
Prince William later hit back at the claims during a visit to a school in Stratford, east London, on 11 March when a reporter asked him: “Is the Royal Family racist, sir?”
“We’re very much not a racist family,” the duke replied.
Asked whether he had been in touch with his younger brother since the interview, William confirmed they had not yet spoken.
“I haven’t spoken to him yet but I will do,” he said.