Woman ‘shunned by policeman’ after being flashed at after Sarah Everard vigil


A woman claims she was shunned by a police officer after she was flashed by a man as she returned home from the vigil for Sarah Everard on Saturday night.

The woman, who gave her name as Georgina, said she was walking next to Clapham Common in south London, when the man exposed himself.

She told Lambeth Life that when she reported the incident to a policewoman she was told it ‘would be looked into’ before her male colleague allegedly told her: “No, we’ve had enough tonight with the rioters.”

“I was just shocked to be told essentially to go away,” she claimed.

“Even if they said we’re not going to go into it but we’ll walk you, that would have been something.”

Officers at the vigil on Saturday before the event turned ugly
Officers at the vigil on Saturday before the event turned ugly

Read More

She added that the incident made her feel ‘unsafe’ and she should feel ‘protected’ around the police but instead she was scared.

The 27-year-old told the publication she had reported the the officer’s alleged handling of the situation to the Met and a meeting has been set up.

A Met Police spokeswoman told the Mirror: “Police received a report of indecent exposure that occurred in the vicinity of Clapham Common at approximately 20:00hrs on Saturday, 13 March.

“The complainant, a woman, reported that a man had exposed himself.

Sarah Everard disappeared as she walked home on March 3
Sarah Everard disappeared as she walked home on March 3

“An appointment has been made with the woman to progress this.

“We are aware of a report that she tried to report this incident at the time to officers in the area – this will be looked at.”

Georgina also said she had previously been flashed at on Clapham Common when a man had been ‘touching himself’ while ‘passed out’.

Around 1,500 people had gathered at Clapham Common on Saturday night to remember Ms Everard, a 33-year-old marketing executive, but the event turned ugly after police surrounded a bandstand covered in flowers left in tribute.

Patsy Stevenson was arrested at the vigil
Patsy Stevenson was arrested at the vigil

Police clashed with the crown resulting in four arrests including Patsy Stevenson.

Patsy told Counterfire: “The fact that the police turned up was just disgraceful because before then it was a peaceful protest.

“I was arrested by police for ‘standing there’.”

Home Secretary Priti Patel and London mayor Sadiq Khan have called for an independent investigation into the police’s actions while thousands have signed a petition demanding that the force’s commissioner Dame Cressida Dick resigns.

Dame Cressida said she had no intention of resigning, adding: “We’re still in a pandemic, unlawful gatherings are unlawful gatherings, officers have to take action if people are putting themselves massively at risk.”

Prime Minister Boris Johnson joined the row, saying: “I was deeply concerned about the footage from Clapham Common on Saturday night. I have spoken with the Metropolitan Police Commissioner who has committed to reviewing how this was handled.”

He will chair a meeting of the Crime and Justice Taskforce on Monday to look at measures to “protect women and ensure our streets are safe”.

Ms Everard disappeared on her way home from visiting a friend on March 3 and on Friday police confirmed human remains found in Kent belonged to her.

Serving police officer Wayne Couzens, 48, was remanded in custody after appearing in Westminster Magistrates’ court on Saturday charged with kidnap and murder.

Source link


This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More